Following the Leader

a lineup of updates and tidbits Burbank and beyond

Archive for the ‘Burbank Police Department’ Category

Injured dog discovered in dumpster; man found nude

leave a comment »

Officers on Tuesday morning were called to 615 Whitnall Highway where they found a severely wounded dog lying in a dumpster.

The wounds were likely from dog bites, according to animal control.

The dog was transported to the Burbank Animal Shelter where it was euthanized. The case is currently being investigated.

In an unrelated story, officers this morning were called to the CVS at 511 N. Hollywood Way after receiving reports that a man was naked and bleeding.

The 21-year-old North Hollywood man, who had cut himself by breaking a glass window, was transported to an area hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

Advertisements

Written by Christopher Cadelago

October 13, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Man suspected in four robberies arrested

leave a comment »

Police this week arrested a 27-year-old Van Nuys man later determined to be connected to a string of robberies in the city, authorities said.

Brian Trevino is being charged with four felony counts of robbery and held on $225,000 bail, Burbank Police Sgt. Robert Quesada said.

Officers at 2:15 p.m. Monday arrested Trevino while investigating a suspicious vehicle  in the 3600 block of W. Victory Blvd, Quesada said.

There they met a man who matched the description from a previous street robbery. Detectives conducted follow-up investigations and connected Trevino to at least three previous robberies, including two at liquor stores and a gas station.

Written by Christopher Cadelago

October 7, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Crime report recap through Monday

leave a comment »

The following were taken from reports filed at the Burbank Police Department:

A 90-year-old Burbank man on Sept. 28 reported his motorized wheelchair stolen from the 400 block of W. Elm St. The man left his wheelchair in his driveway and went out to run errands. The wheelchair was missing upon his return. At first he thought it was a prank, but was unable to locate it. Police conducted an area check. The wheelchair is described as Hoveround MPV 5 motorized wheelchair.

A 63-year-old Burbank man on Sept. 20 went to the police counter to report he had been assaulted with a two-by-four at his home in the 1000 block of N. Ontario St. The man said the assault happened about a year ago and that it was the result of a dispute with his contractor. The contractor demanded money he believed he was owed and when the man refused, the contractor picked up a piece of wood and attacked him. The suspect was not able to hit the victim because a construction worker intervened and stopped him. The victim decided to report the incident a year later. Detectives will be conducting an investigation.

Burbank Police School Resource officers on Friday arrested a 15-year-old student for extorting money from a fellow student. The suspect demanded $10 a week and threatened to beat up the victim if he didn’t pay. The victim paid the suspect during a 3-week span, but finally stopped and reported the incident to a school official.The suspect had sent the victim text messages demanding money and threatening violence if not paid. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by Christopher Cadelago

October 6, 2009 at 1:12 pm

More details on the 2007 Porto’s robbery

with one comment

I’ve read a number of blog posts, comments and emails regarding the 2007 robbery of the Burbank Porto’s, and its connection to the current FBI probe of the Burbank Police Department. Those comments, essentially, asked why in the world the Burbank Leader failed to cover this take-over style robbery at the city’s most popular bakery? Since I’ve only been editor of the paper since April of this year, I have no answer. However, we did print details of the Porto’s incident in today’s paper. Here’s an excerpt:

[…] The FBI investigation involves at least two incidents — the Aug. 23, 2007, arrest of Rene Escarsega; and the Dec. 28, 2007, robbery of Porto’s Bakery.

Details as to each of the officers’ involvement have not been made public.

In addition, details of Escarsega’s Aug. 23 arrest were not immediately available.

In the Porto’s case, officers responded about 8:23 p.m. after six suspects entered the bakery at 3614 W. Magnolia Blvd. after hours and committed a takeover-style robbery, Burbank police Sgt. Thor Merich said.

The suspects allegedly bound the hands of 13 employees with zip ties, struck one with a handgun and kicked another before forcing an assistant manager to go upstairs where two safes were kept. He was then forced to remove a large amount of cash, Merich said.

A police investigation revealed that the suspects were MS-13 gang members, and that the robbery was an inside job, Merich said. Eight of the 10 suspects were charged with kidnapping, robbery and false imprisonment.

After internal Police Department reviews of the Porto’s robbery, city records from 2008 show that an outside investigator was brought in as part of a departmentwide use-of-force audit.

Stehr called in the Sheriff’s Department in April 2009 to investigate at least two allegations of police misconduct, he said. […]

The full story can be read here.

Written by Dan Evans

October 3, 2009 at 10:01 am

TV coverage of the Burbank FBI probe

leave a comment »

Written by Times Community News

October 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Four days and counting…

leave a comment »

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

It’s been four days since the Burbank Leader reshuffled some coverage to give proper attention to the police department, a beat that includes making daily calls, checking wires, listening to the scanner and making daily trips to Police and Fire Headquarters to review the crime log.

The log, which state law requires be kept up to date and available for review, gives a snapshot of police reports, etc. The problem: Since Monday the logs have been unavailable due to a  newly instituted system that has prevented personnel from printing them out, uploading them, or some other reason given to me Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today.

Without mentioning other issues plaguing the department, I’ve been asking about the logs for a few months now. But to me completely fair and honest, it’s been some time since a reporter at this paper made daily visits to the station.

UPDATE: I received a text message about five minutes ago saying someone was on it. I’ll update when appropriate.

Written by Christopher Cadelago

October 1, 2009 at 11:04 am

Statement from Mayor Gary Bric

leave a comment »

Statement from Mayor Gary Bric
Burbank City Council Meeting
September 29, 2009

There has been a lot of press recently regarding issues at the Burbank Police Department and I’m sure the community is concerned and wants to make sure that these issues are being appropriately dealt with. There have been a number of lawsuits and claims filed that contain multiple allegations of improper conduct ranging from wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation to abuse of force and various forms of covering up such activities. These are all very serious allegations and I think it is clear to everyone that the police department is facing some major challenges. All of these allegations have arisen from sources within the department or from former members of the department.

As a result of allegations prior to these lawsuits, a number of investigations have been initiated both by the department and by outside entities at the invitation of and with the cooperation of the city. These investigations began long before the filing of the lawsuits and claims mentioned above. Chief Stehr requested the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s department come in and perform an independent investigation. The city also began an independent investigation using an outside attorney and an outside investigator, both of whom report directly to the City Attorney and City Manager’s office. Your Burbank City Council has met with the outside attorney in order to confirm that there are no limitations on the scope of the investigation and to indicate that any signs of lack of cooperation by anyone within the city are to be brought to the Council’s attention. The Sheriff’s department requested that the city hold off commencing its investigation until the Sheriff’s investigation was completed. In addition to these investigations, the FBI has been conducting their own investigation into these matters and we are cooperating with their inquiries to the city. It is our understanding that when the Sheriff’s investigation is complete, it will be forwarded by the Sheriff’s department to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. The city’s investigation is now ongoing and includes all of the issues raised by the lawsuits and claims that have been filed and will also include any additional issues that may arise in the future.

While we cannot legally share the details of any of these investigations, we felt it was important to share with you that the issues in the Burbank Police Department are being taken very seriously and investigated by outside independent agencies. These investigations have been taking what seems like a very long time, but the investigators know the seriousness of the allegations and are making sure they do a complete and thorough job. We are frustrated that we cannot share more detailed information with you, but the integrity of the investigations and strict legal rules governing the privacy of police officers that may be under investigation prevent us from making any further comments. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by Times Community News

September 30, 2009 at 9:49 am